“When was the last time you did something for the first time?”, asked P.
It took me a while to understand the question and when I started thinking about it – my thoughts were moving at a supersonic speed. Images kept flashing like in a high shutter speed in my mind, and I had to calm myself before thinking hard on this one.
When I posed this to another friend, SZ, his reaction was, “Wow. It is a question like this that shakes our core.” I went ahead to ask some other friends, too.
Me: Shut a person out of my life.
– I usually do not let myself be bothered about what others think. But this one’s thoughts made my insides churn to even imagine being acquainted with such a person. I hope this was also a last.
P: I bought flowers for the temple visit tomorrow. Was ordered and I obeyed.
– The temple, being the first time for him. I have a feeling there are going to be many more such sweet first-times, for he is the father of a little princess.
SZ: Asking someone to marry me and buying a pair of gold and pearl earrings, I never did that before in my life.
– SZ has lived in with a partner for a long time in the past, but never before has he asked someone to marry him.
SD: Cleaning someone else’s puke in my bathroom.
– Well well, ab kya bolun!
RW: I don’t remember.
– Duh-uh. I sure remember, what could have been the last time he could have done something for the first time.
AS: Tattooing myself for the first time, one and a half years back.
– Sigh! After much deliberations on what was his last first time, this one qualified.
“Why can’t we get all the people together in the world that we really like and then just stay together? I guess that wouldn’t work. Someone would leave. Someone always leaves. Then we would have to say good-bye. I hate good-byes. I know what I need. I need more hellos,” says Snoopy in Peanuts.
We surely need more hellos and also more (and new) first times.